Friday, September 3, 2010

Good News! And A Carrot Salad With Honey-Masala Dressing




Guess who has a new job! Yes friends, I am now working at an animal hospital and am still getting used to being at work when I've been unemployed for a rather long spell. Consequently, I'm pretty tired these days as I'm adjusting to my new schedule. So this is going to be a very no-frills post, simply a recipe, but I'm already mentally composing my next post, so I'll have a story for you in a couple of days.

You know, every two weeks, almost without fail, I get a bag of carrots with my Good Food Box. And I always have the best of intentions to use them up, but the fact is, there's only so much I'm inspired to do with carrots. Frankly, I'm sick of them. So out of sheer necessity, to rid my fridge of the three bags of gently aging carrots that have amassed on the veg shelf, I decided to make this salad.


I chopped up a bunch of carrots and look! They naturally composed themselves like this on the cutting board! As if I would waste precious time doing this myself. Please.






















Then I roasted the bejeesus out of them with some chopped up potatoes. Yes, I dared to turn on the oven in this stifling humidity. Then I let them cool in a bowl with some green onions and lemon zest.














I whizzed up a dressing inspired by a President's Choice hummus I'd had with masala and honey in it, and poured it over the salad.
















And can I just say Ding Dong?!! This salad has been feeding me for two days now, and it's so humbly delicious, ringing with a fragrantly sweet flavour and is surprisingly filling. I've been crumbling a bit of goat cheese on it and as a result, carrots have bought themselves a bit more time and love in my heart.


Carrot Salad With Honey-Masala Dressing:

A bunch of carrots, maybe about 3-4 large ones, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
3 regular sized potatoes, cut into smallish cubes
2 green onions, finely chopped
Zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp honey
1 tsp garam masala
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350-400 degrees F. Toss the carrots and potatoes with generous splash of olive oil, salt and pepper and pour into a roasting pan. Roast for about 40 minutes, or until you can't stand the heat in your kitchen anymore because there's a heat wave outside. Take veggies out, pour into a large serving bowl. Add the green onions and lemon zest and allow to come to room temperature before dressing.

2. Assemble the dressing by whisking together the lemon juice, olive oil, honey and garam masala. Adjust ingredients to your taste and add salt and pepper if you like. Pour over cooled veggies and serve, topped with crumbled goat cheese.

6 comments:

  1. First of all, congratulations on your new job! Second of all, I love the action shot of you pouring the dressing onto the salad. And third of all, I am going to make this salad for my lunch next week. I am always trying to come up with good things to bring to work (to avoid the cafeteria and spending money on mediocre food), and this looks like it fits the bill perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JRA, thank you! I'm pretty happy to be a taxpayer again.
    And I hope you like this salad as much as I did! I must admit I find lunch the most underwhelming meal of the day, so I think salads are my new go-to dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on the new job! very exciting!
    mmmmmmmmm honey and masala ... sounds so yummy. i'm going to use it to dress my 5 grain salad tonight. :) thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Leslie! And I'm going to be making those peanut butter-chocolate cookies of yours this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. See I always have extra potatoes which will also be very useful with this recipe. YUM. Congrats on the job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed, Bossy; I think half the reason I added carrots to this was to prevent it from becoming my 47th version of potoato salad, as that seems to be my food obsession!
    And thank you so much for your congratulations!

    ReplyDelete