Sunday, March 28, 2010

Probably Of Interest Only To Me...























This is a picture of my Yucca plant. We had bought some house plants for our new place back in January. I'd researched the heartiest house plants and went for some ivies and ficus, things that didn't need an awful lot of bother because, despite being able to take care of a cat and a dog, I've never been able to keep plants going. My vegetation efforts have been, at best, inconsistent.

Anyways, while we were paying for our plants, I noticed this lonely, sad looking Yucca plant, discounted by 50% because it was clearly dying. I felt so awful for it; here was a once-glorious tropical plant spending its last days in the lower level of a dimly lit Loblaws garden department in the middle of a Canadian winter. Sigh. It HAD to come home with us. The cashier, after giving it to us for a mere $4, assured us that as long as it had greenery on it, it was still alive and still worth hoping for.

Over the past few months, I've been checking on it regularly, watering it once the soil is dry, and trying to get it as much natural light as possible. I've even been talking to it. Don't laugh. And then, a couple of days ago, as I was cleaning the kitchen, I noticed something...it was sprouting new shoots! I couldn't believe it! My thumbs are definitely getting greener! And I'm kind of looking at it as a sign; nothing is ever hopeless.

No comments:

Post a Comment